Staley News

A Fresh Start

The Wrestling gears up for this Season

Jack Warner, Staff

The 2017-2018 wrestling season is underway with a new head coach. The original head coach Gary Mayabb retired last school year, and former assistant coach Elisha Bears took over the position for the recent state champs.

Bears was coached by Mayabb for four years, and he coached alongside him for 12 years after college.

“A lot of the stuff he taught me is the stuff that I know. So, obviously that being the case, and him being my only coach ever leads to me doing things very similarly to coach Mayabb,” said Bears.

Mayabb and Bears share coaching tactics. However, not every single thing two coaches do will be the same. Workouts may vary, but goals remain the same.

“We’re still on the same grind. It’s a little bit different practice style. But we are all getting used to it and liking it,” said sophomore Cade Coons. “We’re trying to get a state title again.”

The common phrase of, “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it,” comes into play, said Bears the success that Mayabb achieved in his years of coaching.

“Bears and Mayabb are similar by working to reach the same goals,” said senior Zach Elam.

Many of the wrestlers said the goal stays the same. Mayabb and Bears share the goal of achieving the state title.