From Teacher to Tittone

Klinginsmith Debuts on the Big Screen

Photo courtesy of David Klinginsmith

Jen Hulen, Staff

Students have the opportunity to have a movie director and actor as a teacher.

English teacher David Klinginsmith has recently directed, produced and starred in a movie called “Top Coat Cash,” about a professional MMA fighter who went home after losing a fight. Once he was home, he reunited with a father and son duo who asked him to participate in their bank heists.

The movie, which took between four and five months to film, was released Jan. 13, and Klinginsmith walked the red carpet with his wife Hannah in Los Angeles on opening night of his second movie.

His first movie was called “Subdued,” and it came out Feb. 15, 2014.

“I’ve wanted to do this my whole life,” said Klinginsmith.

Like many others in the movie industry, Klinginsmith goes by a stage name. His stage name is “David Tittone.”

“Tittone is my mother’s maiden name, and I wanted to keep the two names separate,” said Klinginsmith.

His movie was one of the few foreign movies selected to be shown in China.

“In China, they only accept about 25 foreign movies a year, and his got accepted this year,” said assistant principal Kevin Kooi.

Klinginsmith wrote this script with his father.

“When we had the idea, we knew it had the potential to hopefully become something,” said Klinginsmith.

Although Klinginsmith said he loves acting and directing, he said he would not stop teaching.

“I love teaching, and I wouldn’t want to stop doing it. I have the summer to work on my movies and have the school year to teach. I wouldn’t move away either because my family lives here, and my wife wouldn’t want us to move,” said Klinginsmith.

Some of his students and former students know about his acting and directing career.

“I think it’s really cool that we have a teacher at our school who has been on the red carpet and has directed and starred in a movie. I’ve never heard of a teacher having such an interesting second job,” said junior Lauren Bennett.

“Top Coat Cash” can be purchased on Amazon and Playstore.